Blog Introduction

This blog is the story of how my husband and I faced the illness and death of two of our children. Each blog post is essentially a chapter in the story, so in order to truly understand it, you are going to benefit by starting at the beginning.
I hope you find our story touching, and in some way find comfort and hope through it as you face your own storms in life.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

We Arrive in Our New Land

Our time at the airport was memorable, as numerous friends and family came to see us off. It was very comforting to have the outward expressions of love from so many as we moved forward into the unknown.  There were many hugs and tears; so many so that we didn't realize how late it had gotten until we heard our names broadcast overhead.  We were getting a last call to make our flight!  We quickly blew kisses and shouted good-byes as we ran down the hall to the security checkpoints and to our gate, being scolded the entire time by the airport security personnel for being late.  We boarded the plane winded from the rush, and were told to take any available seat as we were already taxiing away from the terminal.  What a frantic start to our new life!  We hoped it wasn't an indicator of things to come, and believed the rest of our trip would be uneventful, which it was.

The country of Slovenia sweeps you in with its charm even before you land.  As the plane gradually lowers for approach, you are given a panoramic view of beautiful mountain hillsides lined with pristine, velvety emerald green valleys.  Smatterings of terra cotta villages dot the greenery, and white churches seem to stand guard on nearly every hilly precipice.  Old world drying racks for grain still dot the fields, and pencil thin lines mark out the country roads leading from one tiny village to the next.  You are drawn into this place before you even land, and the view afforded from above should not be missed. It is indeed a most beautiful country.

We landed in the rain, but even that didn’t dampen our excitement of finally being “home”. We made it through customs, although they were a bit puzzled when they x-rayed Rob's trumpet.  They couldn't figure out what the image on the screen was at first, but after questioning him, we were cleared.  Our missionary friend was there to pick us up, and with luggage loaded, we began our journey through winding tree-lined roads to our new home. We arrived at our apartment in Ljubljana just as the rain started to intensify.  Jet lag was catching up to us, and the soft pitter-patter of the raindrops on the tree leaves was hypnotic.  We settled our bags in, and spent a short time visiting with our friend before we were on the road again.  We had been invited to dinner at their home.  It was great to see all of them, and the food was excellent as usual, but by seven o'clock we could barely keep our eyes open.  Grateful for the time of food and fellowship, we were even happier to be heading to our beds as we were driven back to our home for some much needed sleep.  Tomorrow was the start of our new life in Slovenia, and the start of something I never saw coming.  My disintegration was about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment