Pages

Blog Introduction

This blog is the story of how my husband and I faced the illness and death of two of our children. Each blog post is essentially a chapter in the story, so in order to truly understand it, you are going to benefit by starting at the beginning.
I hope you find our story touching, and in some way find comfort and hope through it as you face your own storms in life.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Thanksgiving and Fault

The day Sarah had been diagnosed was the day before Thanksgiving.  In spite of the fact that we didn't feel like we had much to be thankful for, we packed up and went to family as usual, to eat tons of food, and to enjoy each others company.  The food was plenteous, and the laughter much, as this family knows how to cook and eat, and they know equally well how to enjoy each others company. 
I mostly remember feeling separate, as if somehow a transparent bubble kept us from totally being involved in that day.  We were different now....and the way we were interacted with was different too.  There was a distancing, a denial of sorts or perhaps a fear, I suppose, on everyone's part.  If it wasn't talked about, maybe it wouldn't be true, or perhaps it was more a matter of not knowing what to say, or how to react to us for fear we might feel worse than we already did.  I know there was much love for us around the table that Thanksgiving day.  Words could not be found to express the sadness and despair all must have felt in that moment.  More pictures than normal were taken; pictures of Sarah alone, and pictures of the three of us together.  Pictures you know would not have been taken had there not been the full knowledge that this would likely be her only Thanksgiving.

Living with the knowledge that your child is going to die changes your thought patterns.  People in the grocery store commenting on how cute your baby is, is met with the usual gratuitous "thank you", while inside, your mind is saying, "yes, she is.  Do you know she's dying?  Do you know I won't have her long?  Can you see I am hurting?"  Of course they don't know any of those things, and I kept them safely tucked inside so no one could see that I was not as strong as I believed I should be.

We know that our children are a gift from God; they are more His than ours...loaned to us for a period of time on this earth.  I cannot tell you how many times I heard those words..."she's more God's than yours".  While it was in fact true, after a while it began to anger me.  She was MINE.  I loved her, and I wanted her.  She wasn't an "accident", and she wasn't born into a family where she was just another mouth to feed.  She was my only child, and she was desperately loved and wanted.  God gave her to me, so she was mine.  God wasn't someone who gave gifts and then took them back, was He?

There were multiple, well-intentioned words spoken to us for which we were grateful, but others, while well-intended, were very hard, and brought more pain.  We were told that our daughter was dying because of "sin in our lives".  Wow...how do you get around that one?  Doesn't everyone have sin in their lives?  Why was our sin so much worse than everyone else's that we deserved to have our child die?  Or, how do we get rid of this sin, make restitution, and make it so she doesn't have to die?  Again, the guilt started to weave its way in.  If it's my sin, then it's my fault that she's dying. 

Surprisingly, the one statement that brought me the most difficulty, the one that I had to battle with the longest and hardest against was spoken by some very wonderful people who have a heart for God and others.  I know in my heart of hearts that their intention was well-meant, but it brought devastation to me.
"If you have enough faith, she will be healed."  Simple enough.  I prayed more, I fasted more, I surrendered her to God more;  I did everything I possibly could to increase my faith so she could live.  Surely, as a "good little girl" who grew up loving and serving God, my faith in Him had to be strong enough to grant me the life of my child.  I held onto that hope, but realized that if I didn't get my faith to a certain God-acceptable level, whatever that may be, my baby would die, and again, it would be my fault.

Day after day passed by as we tried to live "normal" lives.  We couldn't bear to find a babysitter...who wants to watch a baby knowing she could die under your care?   Rob and Grandma became our primary babysitters. Rob's nights were short.  He worked, came home, slept a couple hours, then got up to watch Sarah while I went to work.  Day in, day out our routine continued.
Sarah looked as normal as any other baby except she was weaker.  Developmentally behind, she didn't roll over, and she was too weak to sit up unsupported.  She had these huge dark eyes that enchanted you from the first glance, and a smile that warmed your heart the minute you saw it.  Most people would never have guessed she was sick, much less dying.

I remember an analogy we were told by our Pastor regarding death.  He said that our bodies and spirits are like our hand wearing a glove.  Our hand represents our spirit, and our body, the glove.  When death comes, it is as if we are taking off the glove.  Our hand, which has always been the same, just encased with the outer covering, is now free from it's cloak; unchanged, just as it always was.  In death, our spirits, that which makes "us" "us", is set free from our bodies.  It made sense to me.  Even in death we go on; our spirits free.  Who we really are is not our body, it's what's housed IN our bodies.
One day as I sat and fed Sarah, she looked at me with those big, expressive eyes, and it was as if she wanted me to know her time was short.  I looked at her and asked, "Are you shaking off your body?"  It was an instinctive thing;  a preparatory foreknowing of sorts.  It was one of those moments when you know something just transpired, but then you go on as usual.
We lived each day as normally and as best we could, still hoping for an escape from the sentence of death we had been handed, believing with all our faith that this horrible thing wouldn't happen; but then the fateful day came.

6 comments:

  1. Living with a spouse for 31 years who can die any moment is difficult enough - I'm trying to get around the concept of being handed a death sentence for your only child. I do hope you and Rob, too, write a book about this, Cheryl. I know that you two are more than Overcomers. The number of 'Christians' who, well-meaning as they might have been, unknowingly served Satan that came and asked, "Is there (unconfessed) sin in your life?" has been extremely hurtful, as words contain life and death. That's something that should be taught either from the pulpit or in classes. Sin doesn't choose, doesn't care who it attends. Because we were born into this world of sin, all are subject to its inherent evils. You're so right to know that we all are His adopted children, that He gives us one to another to care for and nurture for a season. For some of us that season is painfully, grievously too short. Love, however, is infinite, and we never stop loving if we've truly loved. Looking forward to your story, Cheryl and I truly hope it's as cathartic for you as it will be beneficial to those who are blessed to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chappy,
    Thank you so much for your comment. I cannot imagine living every day knowing that my soul mate, my love, and my best friend could leave me any day. I guess ultimately, that is the reality of it for all of us, but the vast majority just don't have the foreknowledge of it. I know you have experienced much pain and grief in your own life, and I know God has, and is, using you both to love and reach others with unconditional love and acceptance. Living with the awareness of death changes how we live, and how we see and react to others.

    As you said, words contain life and death. I hope the words I put to print here will bring hope and healing and life to those who are feeling none...to bring a message that the darkness can and will end, and that there are those who KNOW what they are experiencing and can lead the way out. They are NOT alone!

    God bless you as you and your spouse continue to love and live each day that God grants you on this earth, and may we all anticipate the day when we are re-united in heaven again.

    Death is not the end...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of the story of Job. He was suffering like no one else could understand. His friend's thinking they were helping, ended up hurting more than helping. Sometimes people just need to be there for emotional support and cry with their friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very true, Michael. Sometimes the gift of "presence" is much more meaningful than anything else. Crying with someone, or simply being with them and loving them as walk through something difficult can be the most helpful thing of all.
    Thanks for writing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that picture Pastor gave of the hand and the glove. It has helped me get through the loss of loved ones through the years, especially our friend, Laura.

    But I can't imagine what a nightmare it was for you to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It IS the perfect analogy, isn't it? I know you are hurting for your friend. It is at least some comfort for both of us to know that they are still "them" on the other side, just waiting for us!! How boring heaven would be if we all became the same there. God created us with wonderful individuality for HIS pleasure! He still will want that when we get to live WITH Him, don't you think?! Can't wait for the day! Love you, friend. : )

    ReplyDelete